The Money Tree

So I had a gig tonight at a place in Toluca Lake (near Burbank) called the Money Tree. It's known around town as the "No Money Tree" because of how little they pay the musicians. Really, it's embarrassing how little they pay. I had a weekly gig there for a few months when I first got to town. I hated the place and swore I'd never play there again. Not only is the bread terrible but the piano is bad and the way the place is set up, all of the people at the bar have their backs to you. Stupid. But I got a call to play there this week with a friend of mine Gina who is a really good singer and who I hadn't seen in a long time. So I decided to do it.

The No Money Tree is a funny place. A lot of B and C-list actors hang out there. Like tonight this comedian I dig Zack Galifanakis was at the bar. He had a really good show on VH1 five years ago or so (it was probably the last good show VH1 had). He left before we started playing though. There were a couple more actors whose names I didn't know, the guy who played the judge in "A Few Good Men" and the guy who played the cook on "A Different World." You get the picture. Anyway these guys were really nice and tipped really well and we ended up making as much in tips as we did from the club. So that was nice and made the gig a little more worthwhile. And Gina sounded great. It was good playing with her again. So it was a good night.

I just got home a few minutes ago. Carrie's asleep on the couch. That's always bad news. Moving her from the couch to the bedroom in the midst of deep slumber is quite a chore.

Wish me luck.


About this entry


0 comments: