WizardWorld

More driving, more driving, more driving, more driving, more driving ...

Last night I hauled my ass down to Newport Beach for the gig with Gary. While the drive took over an hour each way, I had a great time playing. The trio sounded really good and we got into some really good grooves and improvisations. Wish I had a tape of it. I love playing with Gary. I want to start a jazz trio with him when I'm done with my record.

Then today I drove down to Long Beach for WizardWorld L.A., a comic book convention. It was fun. I love comic conventions. You don't have to worry about getting your geek on. I saw a buddy of mine Koop who I know from this online comic message board I post at. His wife is a big fan of Tyrell's and they've come out to see the show when we played on the East Coast. I think he's seen us 4 times. Then I see him at the LA and San Diego comic conventions as well. Koop is a comic dealer so he goes to all of the conventions, sets up a booth and sells books. He's a good guy and a good friend. It was good seeing him again.

I also saw Jim Mahfood. It was good talking to him face-to-face. He was again really complimentary of the music I sent him which was cool. He also laid some music on me including an album that he did the cover for. It looks great and I'm excited to work with him.

By the afternoon I was wiped. I had to head home and take a nap. All that driving can wear you out. Since Wednesday I've driven:

from the Valley (where I live, in northern Los Angeles) to Palm Springs
from Palm Springs to San Diego
from San Diego to the Valley
from the Valley to LAX and back
from the Valley to Newport Beach and back
from the Valley to Long Beach and back

I bet that's around 20 hrs. Yikes.

*********

Before the gig last night I stopped by this used CD place in Newport Beach. I picked up this record called "4-Sight". The lineup is Peter Martin, keyboards; Ron Blake, sax; Greg Hutchinson, drums; Rodney Whitaker, bass. I had never even heard of this record. How did that happen?! These are some of my favorite players on the planet! The album came out in '98 and I'd never heard one thing about it. Ron Blake is in the Christian McBride Band, one of my favorite bands at the moment. Greg Hutchinson used to play with Ray Brown in his trio and Rodney Whitaker used to play with Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. But more importantly to me the two of them used to compromise the rhythm section of the Roy Hargrove Quartet. I love the records they did with Roy. At one point Whitaker was my favorite bass player. They just swing so hard.

I'm listening to the record now. It sound pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Ron Blake's album that came out a couple of years ago. Not so much traditional be-bop, a lot of different grooves and creative compositions. I dig.

*********

The bachelor pad is in full effect. Murphy and I are in total control of the place. Dishes stacked up in the sink, dirt clothes on the furniture, a bed that hasn't been made in days. I love it. Nothing's getting cleaned up until Tuesday.


About this entry


0 comments: